Thursday 31 March 2016

Obsidian - A Book Review

OBSIDIAN (LUX SERIES BOOK 1)
- Author: Jennifer L Armentrout
- Publication date: 8 May 2012
- Tags: Science Fiction, Fantasy, Paranormal, Romance, Young-aduilt 


OBSIDIAN is one of the first books I read from JL Armentrout, who quickly became one of my favorite authors. Her writing style is absolutely wonderful, and her humor is very fresh which is an aspect I love from all of her stories. This book I recently re-read, because I was in a bit of a reading slump - and when that happens my TBR starts to feel like a massive weight on my shoulders. One of the best ways to get out of that slump? To read a book you know you love, one that will re-establish your love for reading and get you back in the mood. That's what OBSIDIAN has recently done for me. So I thought I'd grace it with a well-deserved book review, since I hadn't started this blog when I first read it. 

OBSIDIAN was also one of my first sci-fi alien stories I had ever read. I wasn't so big on aliens, and have since read and watched many alien themed stories and TV shows, purely because of this book. Thanks JLA!! This story follows a teenage girl by the name of Katy, who is a normal girl, moving to a small town with her mother a few years after the death of her father. A way to get away, start fresh. One of the things that immediately drew me to Katy's character was her passion for one thing - books! She blogged and she even vlogged about the books she read, and reviewed them online. The way her delight and excitement was described when she received book mail was so accurate that I fell in love with her almost immediately. Katy from OBSIDIAN, is one of the reason I first started blogging about books, or wanting to be doing something along those lines. So thanks again, JLA - you seem to be shaping who I am! 

What starts Katy's story is her meeting of the strangers next door, starting off the with the incredibly sexy and incredibly annoying and rude Daemon Black. He is quite vicious when is comes to Katy, and she has no idea why, which only escalates when she commences a friendship with his twin sister Dee Black. Katy can tell that there are some massive secrets that his family is keeping from not only her, but the entire town and world. Then one night, something happens - Katy is almost smooshed into the ground by a truck, but it stops inches from her face... frozen by the alien next door, saving her life. Now that she is privy to the secret, Daemon's animosity somewhat grows, but it is clear it grows along with his affection for Katy. Now, if you enjoyed Jace from The Mortal Instruments with his general snarkiness, just wait until you meet Daemon. What's more, is that Katy rivals his snarkiness and gives back what is given. She holds her own, which I really enjoy! 

An interesting aspect that I very much enjoyed from this book, was the effect that alien "magic" has on humans. When Daemon stopped the truck to save Katy's life, his magic left a mark on her, which fades over time. The mark is described as an aura of light around Katy, which only the Luxen (alien race) can see, along with (unfortunately), the Arum - who are the Luxen's enemy alien race. The Arum can track this aura of light to the human and attempt to torture them to locate the Luxen to kill them, and steal their light. This puts Katy in a real amount of danger, and it is up to Daemon to protect her - much to Katy's dismay. This makes this novel absolutely chock full of action and wit, and is just a stunning read altogether. I could probably read this over and over and still swoon over Daemon every time. Yup, even when I'm 50. 

FAVORITE QUOTE 


Daemon's loyalty, underneath his mask of indifference and snark, is unwavering and it's one of the great things about reading this book. This is further explored in the novel that was recently released, Oblivian, which is OBSIDIAN, but told from Daemon's point of view instead of Katy's. 








MY RATING 


4.5/5 - I pretty much never give out a 5 star rating, so this basically means this books is so close to perfect it ain't even funny. Would I recommend this books to others? Heck to the yes I would.

OTHER BOOKS

These are the re-vamped covers of the Lux Series. Lux Beginnings encapsulates book 1 and 2 Obsidian and Onyx. Lux Consequences is Book 3 and 4, Opal and Origin, Opposition is book 5.


DESCRIPTION (as at Amazon.com)

Starting over sucks.When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring.... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.And then he opened his mouth.Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something…unexpected happens.The hot alien living next door marks me.You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.If I don't kill him first, that is.

Pick up your own copy here

No comments:

Post a Comment